Pages

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow...

So, I realize it's been too long since I last blogged but gimme a break man, it's good to be busy. I'll start by mentioning how great Denmark is...as usual. It's called the "happiest country on earth" for a reason. Sometimes I just get really jealous when I see a perfect Danish family with their perfect Danish children on the perfect Danish street they live on. I mean, it seems like nothing bad ever happens here. They use stories from the US on their ews because they don't have enough to talk about here sometimes. I kind of want to stay here forever, but don't worry folks back home, it's not possible right now.



Since the last time I wrote, I have been to Oslo, Norway with my language school. It was absolutely gorgeous but insanely expensive. I didn't buy anything but a post card and seigemenn, or more commonly known as sugar ladies ( which are the greatest candy of all time). We went to a few parks, walked around the city a bunch and we also went to the Nobel Peace Center which was amazing. It was really nce to sight see and experience a different Scandinavian culture and language, which I surprisingly can understand a little bit of. We also went there by boat, which was a cool experience as well.





Next, I went to Copenhagen with my host mom and host sister. It was so nice of them to take me and I really enjoyed it. We went shopping and sight saw. I also got to see Prince Frederick from his balcony! My host mom said it was a big deal, she'd never seen him before either so I felt lucky. My host family also made a Thanksgiving dinner, well as thanksgiving as it could get. It was a Danish style Thanksgivng so it was extra special. It was a really nice way to end my stay with them, it's crazy how much you can grow to love complete strangers after only 4 months. It was very sad leaving their house, but it's a good thing to change. I have been living with my new family now for almost 3 weeks and they are so sweet! They live on a grain farm which is totally different for me, especially because I have lived in cities my entire life. It's really nice though, I'm having a great time!





It snowed the last week in November and as annoying as it can be sometimes, it's so beatiful and I really do like it! It's so weird for me to be living in a place that snows, I come from a desert so I've never even really seen it before. It is so "hyggeligt", unfortunately there's no English translation for this word that describes it perfectly but the best words are nice, cozy, or lovely. I think we need to adapt this word asap. I am really hoping for a white Christmas this year, although apparently it doesn't happen very often in Denmark, the snow is already disappearing. Dansh Christmas is SO nice though. I'm loving every second of it. It's really not about the gifts or cooperate marketing in this country. There aren't any more sales in the stores than there normally would be and it really seems to be about being with family and friends and enjoying the time you have together. And the food is delicious.






That's all for now folks,

Lots of love and merry Christmas!!

1 comment: